back to Course categories
Surgery and the Child
Mr Steven Powell, Consultant Paediatric Otolaryngologist & Mr Gareth Hosie, Consultant Paediatric Surgeon
All surgical consultants who have responsibility for paediatric surgical emergency or elective care - particularly where this is not their core role. All surgical trainees (CT/ST) for all specialties.
Course Fee: £185.00, RCSEd Member Fee: £165.00
To equip surgeons who treat children with paediatric knowledge and skills to enable them to confidently and safely deal with paediatric surgical care. To inform all surgeons in training of the unique factors around paediatric surgical care.
After attending this course, delegates will have improved in their ability to:
- Place their own paediatric surgical practice within a regional and national context
- Appropriately manage shared decision-making and consent in a paediatric setting
- Communicate effectively with paediatric patients
- Understand how to manage the deteriorating child
- Discuss the issues around children with disabilities and how best to meet their needs
- Explain the responsibilities for child protection in surgical care
- Discuss the differences between paediatric and adult trauma
- Describe latest developments in paediatric anaesthesia and how these impact on appropriate listing of surgical patients and the surgery undertaken (age, safety, pre-assessment, pain)