THE JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL (JCUH)

RESEARCH ORTHOPAEDIC / HAND FELLOW (CT1/2 LEVEL)

Applications are invited for the above post, to commence as soon as possible for a period of 12 months, subject to satisfactory review and appraisal.

South Tees Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest in the country and provides a comprehensive range of medical and surgical specialities to patients in the North East of England. It is one of the United Kingdom’s 22 Major Trauma Centres and offers tertiary referral services for a variety of surgical specialities including Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery, which are all situated within the JCUH Site. The Orthopaedic Department has a long tradition of delivering excellent clinical outcomes. The unit is committed to training and offers supervised teaching and personal career development for those trainees who wish to develop a career in orthopaedics. In addition the department has strong links to Teesside University through which it delivers a postgraduate orthopaedic MCh Course including modules in clinical research.

The orthopaedic department has an active academic team lead by Prof Amar Rangan which includes two senior lecturers, research nurses and an orthopaedic research scientist. The team have co-ordinated a number of national and international multicentre clinical trials. Members of the team are also grant holders for a range of NIHR portfolio adopted trails.

The hand service at the James Cook Hospital is delivered by Orthopaedic and Plastic Surgeons on a combined hybrid rota. Hand on-call is delivered on a 1 in 6 weekly basis by 3 Orthopaedic and 3 Plastic surgeons. Outside the on call weeks surgeons deliver a comprehensive sub-specialty / tertiary hand service.

The successful applicant will work alongside the orthopaedic team and orthopaedic hand service. Approximately 40% of their time will be allocated to delivering elective and emergency activity alongside the hand service. The remaining 60% of their time will be spent working with the orthopaedic team delivering clinical care, undertaking research activity and coordinating undergraduate teaching for the department. It is expected that the fellow will get involved with a number of on-going clinical trials and service improvement initiatives as well as developing their own research ideas. The successful candidate will also be responsible for coordinating the delivery of medical student orthopaedic teaching. The trust can reimburse enrolment fees for candidates wishing to undertake a Postgraduate certificate (Education/Research) during their 12 months in post.

The post will suit doctors at CT1/2 level wishing to pursue a career in Orthopaedic Surgery and to further expand their clinical, teaching and research portfolios. Recent fellows have had their work published in peer-reviewed journals, contributed to NIHR portfolio and industry studies and have presented at both national and international meetings. Applicants should have at least 1 years’ experience in Trauma and Orthopaedics, be enthusiastic and committed to a career in Orthopaedics and have an interest in clinical research. Full GMC registration with a license to practice is required.

The post offers >50% allocated time for research and teaching activities in addition to clinical commitments. There is an on-call commitment for the hand service and general orthopaedic elements of the post.

For more information on the post click here.